The Business of Photography
Turn your passion for photography into your profession.
Photography Business Classes
Starting and Running a Photography Business
- 16 Classes
- 4+ Hours content
- Level: Basic
Your step-by-step guide to success.
Being a talented and passionate photographer is crucial. But artistic brilliance doesn’t necessarily come hand-in-hand with business savvy. How do you balance the two? These classes will show you.
With 25+ years of industry experience to his name, Karl explains what it takes to become a successful pro photographer, sharing the highs and lows of his journey while giving you tips and advice for your own.
In this series, you’ll cover how much to charge for photography, what types of photography are the most lucrative, how to understand the commercial project workflow, and more. In short, Karl shows you to how to run and grow your business.
This course also features a wealth of useful documents for you to download. These include a Model Release Form, a Pricing Calculator, an Invoice Example, and more.
What you’ll learn:
- The commercial workflow Understand the process, from first client contact to completion
- Working to a brief Identify what your client wants and execute the the shoot accordingly
- Pricing Find out what professional photographers charge for their work and what you should charge for yours
- Sustainable growth Grow and maintain your business
- Genres of commercial photography From weddings to architectural photography, explore your potential markets
- Marketing Discover how and why to spread the word about your work
- Introduction and Commercial Workflow
- Working to a Brief
- Sets, Props and Problem Solving
- Pricing Your Photography
- Equipment and Growing Your Studio
- Photography Genres to Make You Money
- Marketing Your Business and Staying in Business
- Business Skills for Photographers
- Business Advice for Photographers: Surviving Trying Times
- Tips and Advice for Running a Photography Business
- Photography Pricing: How Much to Charge for Your Photography
- Business Advice for Photographers: Supply and Demand, Pricing and Marketing
- Marketing Yourself as a Photographer
- Developing an Online Photography Portfolio (Part 1)
- Developing an Online Photography Portfolio (Part 2)
- Online Photography Portfolios Review
Marketing Your Photography Business
Spread the word, win new work
Contracts & Legal
Model Release Forms | Usage Fees and Licensing | Terms and Conditions
Pricing and Billing
Pricing and Fee Calculators | Forecasting | Expenses | Invoicing
Cashflow Forecasts and Business Expenses (Download)
Pricing Calculator (Download)
Planning and Workflow
Project Workflow Form | Job Sheets
- 26 Classes
- 29+ Hours content
- Level: All Levels
How do top professional photographers build successful careers?
Explore our archive of special guest interviews. As well as revealing the secrets behind their best work, these world-renowned photographers share their stories and offer advice for aspiring professionals.
What you’ll learn:
- How to photograph portraits with natural light
- Camera settings for natural light photography
- Useful equipment to have for shooting with natural light
- Photographing children indoors and on location
- Posing and photograph family groups
- Creative ideas & posing for photographing couples
- How to use reflectors & diffusers to control natural light
- Conversations with Jonathan Knowles: Shooting Video as a Stills Photographer
- Interview With Portrait and Fashion Photographer Rachell Smith
- Conversations With David Lund: The Path to Becoming a Pro
- Conversations With Tom Oldham: Portrait Photography
- Conversations With Tim Flach: Birds
- Conversations With Urs Recher: Photographing People vs Products
- Conversations With David Stanbury: Creating an Experience (Wedding Photography)
- Conversations With Barry Makariou: Photography Book Review
- Interview With Photographer and Digital Artist Erik Johansson
- Interview With Product Photographer Jonathan Knowles
- Interview With Hasselblad Expert Chris Cooze: Hasselblad on the Moon
- Interview With Fine Art Photographer Ben Thomas
- Interview With Food Photographer Anna Pustynnikova
- Interview With Professional Retoucher Viktor Fejes
- Interview With Fashion Photographer Daria Belikova
- Interview With Portrait Photographer Tom Oldham
- Interview With Product and Liquid Photographer David Lund
- Interview With Product Photographer Barry Makariou
- Interview With Architectural Photographer Sean Conboy
- Interview With Fine Art Animal Photographer Tim Flach
- Interview With Photographic Printing Expert John Fitzgerald
- Interview With Fashion Stylist Bianca Swan
- Interview With Commercial Photographer Urs Recher
- Interview With Wedding Photographer David Stanbury
- Interview With Nature Photographer Chris Bale
- Interview With Commercial Photographer Alex Wallace
Unleash Your Creative PotentialPower up your skills in the visual arts.
"My Photography has now picked up. I have my own studio now and just keep on learning from you.”
"Great to have all this valuable information in a single place. Well organised and easy to access. I’ve been looking for something like this for centuries.”
"You can’t imagine how the last 365 days has changed my photography in a positive way! I tried several other online programmes but yours is the best in explanation and techniques!"
Karl Taylor has been a professional photographer for more than 25 years. Commissioned by leading global brands for his precise attention to detail and exquisite control of light, Karl is also known as an instructor who explains complex subjects clearly and effectively. Karl’s unique expertise and commitment to education has led him to work for Hasselblad Camera Company, Broncolor Lighting and Adobe, as well as to appearances on the BBC and elsewhere.
To help you make the most of our classes, we’ve made it easier to get in touch. Whether you have general photography questions or queries relating to specific classes, our knowledgeable team is here to help you achieve your photography goals.