The Business of PhotographySharpen your business skills
Starting & Running a Photography Business
Your step-by-step guide to successfully running your photography business.
Starting up or running your own photography business can be a daunting and overwhelming task. As much as you need to be a talented and passionate photographer, you also need to be business smart. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, Karl explains what it takes to become a successful pro photographer, sharing his journey over the last two decades, whilst giving you top tips and advice to help you with your own photography journey. This series of video classes (which also includes relevant documentation available to download) also includes how much to charge, what areas of photography earn you the most money as well as understanding the commercial project workflow as well as how to run and grow your business.
This Course Covers...
- The commercial workflow Understand the entire process of photography, from client to completion
- Working to a brief Learn how to identify what the client wants and how best to execute the shoot
- Pricing Find out what professional photographers charge for their work and what you should charge for yours
- Sustainable growth How to grow and maintain your business
- Genres of commercial photography From weddings to architectural photography, find out what the potential markets are
- Marketing Discover the best ways to market your business and why it’s important
Business Photography Video Classes
- Photography Pricing – How much to charge for your photography
- Introduction and commercial workflow
- Working to a brief
- Sets, props and problem solving
- Pricing your photography
- Equipment and growing your studio
- Photography genres to make you money
- Marketing your business & staying in business
- Business skills for photographers
- Tips and advice for running a photography business
- Business Advice For Photographers: Surviving Trying Times
- Business Advice For Photographers: Supply & Demand, Pricing & Marketing
How can you market your business?
Contracts & Legal
Model Release Forms | Usage Fees and Licencing | Terms and Conditions - Download Documents
Model Release Forms (Download)
Don’t get caught out by not having the right paper work and contracts when working with models or people in your photographs. These contracts are essential on commercial projects and ensure that everyone knows their remuneration and obligations.
Pricing & Billing
Pricing Calculator, Forecasting, Expenses, Fees & Invoicing Downloads
Cash Flow Forecasts & Business Expenses (Download)
An essential tool for monitoring your businesses profitability and knowing your monthly revenue targets. This customisable spread sheet will give you a clear picture of how you are doing and how much you need to invoice each month to ensure your business is a success.
Usage Fee Calculator (Link)
Work out exact pricing for your stock images publication or for usage fees on clients’ work. This often confusing area of business is simplified with our easy to use calculator. This document will help you price your commissioned images and the continued usage accurately and easily.
Pricing Calculator (Download)
Are you unsure what to charge? Would you like to know what Karl invoices commercial clients? With this bonus document Karl reveals not only his pricing structure but also the common rates for photographers shooting weddings, portraits, events, commercial and many more. Make sure you are pricing your work correctly with this useful guide.
Invoice Example (Download)
The layout and content of an invoice to a client might sound straightforward but you can help avoid complication and confusion with my method of billing. This will help you get paid more easily and ensure that your customers are aware of all the expenses and hours spent on a project.
Planning & Workflow
Project Workflow Form & Job Sheets
Project Workflow Form (Download)
Make sure you fully understand your clients’ needs through every step of the project. This handy document makes sure you deliver the best possible service to your clients by analysing the requirements of each stage of the project process and therefore focusing you on understanding the ‘bigger picture’.
Job Sheets (Download)
This essential document helps you keep track of each project and each client so that when it comes to billing it’s a breeze. All of your hours, your extras and anything associated with a photo-shoot can be detailed here ready for billing.