How do you make a small, everyday object look like a work of art? Empowering your subject to give it presence and desirability is what makes successful advertising photography and there are lighting considerations, camera angles and techniques that will help make it work.
In this product photography class Karl creates a powerful, dramatic advertising image of a pair of lipsticks as he demonstrates how to photograph small products, what impact background choice can have on the final shot, and how to create beautiful gradient lighting for products with metallic textures.
Shooting small objects such as this requires precision and patience, and as Karl builds his shot up light-by-light you’ll see how even the smallest changes can have a big impact.
- How to photograph cosmetics
- Techniques for photographing small products
- Using extension tubes for close-up macro photography
- How to create gradient lighting for metallic textures
- Demonstrate the importance of background choice
You can view the post-production for this image in our ‘Retouching for high-end cosmetic product photography’ class.
To learn more about cosmetics photography and how to photograph lipsticks, take a look at the following recommended classes:
- Live Workshop – One Light Challenge Product Shoot
- One light lipstick product shoot
- How to photograph cosmetics on a black gloss backdrop
If you have any questions about this class please post in the comment section below.
NOTE: This class is available with English subtitles and automatic translations.