For some fashion shoots, you need to design and build an elaborate set in the studio. For others, a well chosen outdoor location provides the perfect backdrop – no props required.
Here, Karl offers his tips for scouting locations for photoshoots and securing permission to shoot on private property, as well as for how to use a set to add mood and emotion to a shoot – even one ‘fashioned’ with minimal resources.
He also provides set design ideas and covers how to avoid allowing your set, location or concept to overpower the ‘hero’ – that is, the model and the clothing they’re wearing – by keeping the fundamental purpose of your shoot in mind.
What you’ll learn:
- How to shoot fashion photography outdoors
- Tips for finding great photography locations
- How to shoot street fashion photography
- Building sets for fashion photography
- Props for fashion photoshoots
- Securing permits for fashion photoshoots
For more photography set design ideas, watch our classes on ‘Utilising Available Space and Natural Light Indoors for Portraits‘ and ‘Opportunity Photography‘. And if you’re interested in DIY photography backdrops, check out ‘Making a Canvas Backdrop‘.