Knowledge & Inspiration for PhotographersClasses. Live Workshops. Support. All of it.
Fashion PhotographyBeyond lighting. Think like a pro.
This section will give you the inside scoop when it comes to fashion photography, both in studio and on location. Each fashion photography tutorial covers a variety of fashion photography tips, including fashion photography poses, where to find props for fashion photography and creative lighting setups for fashion photography. You’ll also have an inside look into planning for a fashion shoot so that you can achieve stunning results like this yourself.
Studio Fashion Photography
Stunning and effective fashion photography setups.
Learn how to bring your creative ideas to life with this in-depth studio fashion photography course. From developing a creative concept right through to building a set and creating DIY props, in each of these classes we take you right into the studio with Karl, where you’ll learn about the equipment, styling, and lighting used to create a range of stunning fashion images in a variety of photographic styles.
- A Monochromatic Moment In Time Fashion Shoot
- Photographing a Model In Motion
- How To Photograph Legs
- Theatrical Light Fashion Shoot
- Retro Sci-Fi Fashion Shoot
- Pop Fashion Shoot
- Para 222 and Matching Hues Fashion Shoot
- Innocence Fashion Shoot
- Clean Cut Fashion Shoot
- Fantasy Fatale
- Liquid fashion retouching
- Model paint blast
- Model throws paint
- Liquid fashion
- Fashion photography using laser lighting and flash photography
- Futuristic fashion photography
- Photographing a model in motion – Falling girl
- Knockout creative techniques
- Lighting & making a small set
On Location Fashion PhotographyCapture breathtaking fashion shots on location.
Photographing fashion outdoors offers a host of new creative opportunity, but it also comes with a fair share of challenges. How do you identify interesting locations? What equipment do you use? How do you balance daylight and studio flash? This section answers all of these questions, and more. Through step-by-step guidance, you’ll learn how to create your own stunning fashion images using natural light or studio flash, as Karl explains his creative thought process, his equipment, and lighting techniques for shooting fashion on location.
- Backlighting sun and flash
- High speed sync location lighting
- Flash and natural light
- Conceptual fashion photography: Hazards of the Perfection Paradigm
- Photographing fashion on the coast with flash lighting
- Fashion photography on location
- Seascape fashion photography
- Location soft lighting
- Flash on location
- Simple fashion on location
- Stunning location lighting
- How To Full Version – Coloured Gels Fashion Shoot
- Streetwear fashion photography – Skater girl
- Combining Natural Backlighting with Flash on Location
- Simple Sunset Fashion Shoot
- Fashion Photography on Location Using Speedlites
- Softening Harsh Sunlight for Natural Light Fashion Photography
- Lingerie Shoot on Location
Learn what it takes to achieve great on-location fashion shots.
In these documentary-style fashion photography tutorials Karl and the team show you the thought process behind planning fashion shoots on location as they head to Iceland for one of their biggest projects yet. From logistics meetings and model castings through to fashion photography lighting setups and final shoots, you will learn professional fashion photography tips for working on location and get a number of creative ideas for fashion photography. Shot against breathtaking backdrops, there’s also a few bonus landscape photography tutorials too.
- Pretrip planning
- Model castings
- Logistics meeting and test shoot
- The challenges of shooting fashion on location
- Ice lagoon shoot
- Light on the horizon
- Storm on the horizon
- Skogafoss Waterfall shoot
- Fashion shoot at the site of the DC3 plane crash
- Dramatic fashion shoot in a surreal landscape
- Surreal fashion photography: Alien worlds
- Dramatic backdrop
- Highland roads
- Photographing a model in action: Ascension shoot
- Soft moss fantasy
- Funny outtakes during the filming of Fashionscape
- Fashionscape photography: An overview and post production walkthrough – part 1
- Fashionscape photography: An overview and post production walkthrough – part 2
- Producing large prints
Beauty Photography & Retouching
Master flawless beauty portraits.
Broaden your knowledge and master your control of lighting with this selection of in-depth beauty photography classes. Learn everything you need to know about beauty lighting, including how to create hard and soft light, what modifiers to use and when, and how to use common modifiers in more creative ways. You’ll also learn about makeup, styling and posing for beauty photography, as well as how you can use simple props and accessories to add your own unique style to your images. Then, learn how to refine your images, with powerful post-production techniques for skin retouching.
- Introduction & beauty lighting
- Beauty Lighting Techniques
- Master Beauty Dish Lighting
- Forming graduated beauty lighting
- Modern Fashion Fantasy Shoot
- Lips and nails close up
- Beauty-style advertising photography
- Beauty-style photography retouch: Getting started
- Beauty-style photography retouch – Colour adjustments
- Beauty-style photography retouch – Liquifying, burning and dodging
- Beauty retouch 2: Initial clean up
- Beauty retouch 2: Adding and removing hair & liquifying
- Beauty Retouch 2: Shine removal and lip definition
- Beauty Retouch 2: Remove fine hairs, blemishes & liquify
- Beauty Retouch 2: Eye enhancements
Members' image critiques & guest interviews.
We’ve collated a series of additional stand-alone classes to help you take your understanding of fashion photography one step further. These include live show replays with professional fashion photographers and stylists, who generously share valuable insight into the industry, as well as a selection of fashion-focussed image critiques where Karl reviews members’ portrait and fashion images.
- Interview With Portrait & Fashion Photographer Rachell Smith
- Interview With Fashion Photographer Daria Belikova
- Photo Critique – Beauty, Portrait & Fashion Images
- Photo Critique – Fashion & Beauty Images (Part 2)
- Photo Critique – Fashion & Beauty Images (Part 1)
- Interview With Fashion Stylist Bianca Swan
“I’ve learnt a lot but in particular the Fashion and beauty lighting - Now i don’t photograph models but I photograph brides and grooms. I took those techniques and use them for weddings, engagement shoots and even families. ”Poppy Larbalestier, Professional Wedding Photographer
See more testimonials here.