About our portrait photography courses:
There’s no better skill to master than portrait photography, whether you’re capturing those special family moments or crafting high-quality business portraits for a client.
Learn how to create stunning portraits time and time again using both natural light and studio flash as Karl shows you the techniques he uses to get stunning results in-camera.
With more than 80 classes to choose from, you’ll learn everything from how to make your subject feel comfortable to how to craft creative lighting setups for studio and location shoots.
- 117 Classes
- +40 Hours content
- Level: All Levels
Photography Equipment Reviews
- 35 Classes
- 5+ Hours content
- Level: Basic
Cameras, tripods, filters, printers, and more – tested.
This section brings together all of our equipment reviews. These videos are not classes in the usual sense, and many of them are available on our YouTube Channel. We’ve simply collected them here, ad-free, for our members’ convenience.
- Wacom Cintiq review
- UV filter test
- Tripod heads
- Siros Part 4 – speed test
- Siros Part 3 – test 2
- Siros Part 2 – test 1
- Siros Part 1 – unboxing
- Polarizing filters
- ND graduated filters
- Move Pack vs Profoto B4
- Little Stopper test
- Hand luggage camera bag
- G-Speed Studio review
- G-Drive and G-Dock review
- Favorite tripods
- Epson P600 photo printer
- Photography studio backdrops: How Colorama rolls work
- Demonstration of the Canon XEED projector
- Canon 7D slow motion demonstration
- Canon 5D mark 2 vs Canon 7D comparison
- Canon 5Dmk2 vs Canon 5Dmk3 comparison
- Choosing camera bags and straps
- Essential studio photography equipment: C-stands, grips & clamps
- EIZO CG318-4K v ASUS ProArt PA32UC Review
- Hasselblad H6 versus H5 versus Sony A7Rii Camera test
- Hasselblad X1D Portrait Shoot – Part 3
- X1D Hasselblad Camera Photography Review (and location Fashion shoot!) – Part 2
- X1D Hasselblad Camera Photography Review (and portrait shoot!) – Part 1
- Manfrotto bags – ProLight Reloader Air-55 and the ProLight Reloader Tough-55 reviewed
- First time using a drone with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro – Episode 1
- Using ‘QuickShots’ on a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone for first time. – Episode 2
- Wacom Intuos Pro Medium & Small Tablets Compared
- How to setup and use a graphics tablet with Photoshop – Wacom Intuos Pro
- Lighting comparison: parabolic softbox vs regular Broncolor softbox
- Flash lighting vs continuous LED lighting
Photography Gear, Tips & Tricks
- 29 Classes
- 3+ Hours content
- Level: Basic
Collected here ad-free for your convenience, this selection of videos from our YouTube channel provides a range of useful pointers and insights to give your photography a boost.
It covers everything from making a canvas backdrop and cleaning your camera sensor to calibrating your lens and shooting in stormy conditions.
- Macro lens vs extension tube comparison shoot
- Shooting in a Small Photography Studio – 6 Tips
- E-Commerce Photography Tutorial
- How to calibrate your lens
- How to Photograph the Moon – Equipment, camera settings & top tips
- I used 12 lights for this commercial photography shoot!
- Photographing in a small studio
- How to photograph high-end products while working to a brief
- How To Photograph Business Portraits
- Studio Photography: Lighting & Set Creation
- Product photography tutorial: How to photograph glasses using reverse tilt-shift
- Using on camera flash
- Using multiple light sources
- Tripods and maintenance
- Speedlite accessories
- Sensor cleaning
- Packing pelicases
- Miops Trigger
- Mini home studio part 2
- Mini home studio part 1
- Making a canvas backdrop
- Lens hoods
- How to shoot in stormy conditions
- How to hold a camera
- How to diffuse a speedlite
- Dressing for cold weather when photographing on location
- Cheaper lens cleaning cloths
- Landscape photography with a 50mm lens
Exploring Photography Equipment
- 22 Classes
- 5+ Hours content
- Level: Basic
In the third curated selection of our YouTube content, Karl and the team touch on a range of topics related to photography equipment.
See how our studio infinity cove was built, watch Karl test macro lenses, explore Squarespace web design, and much, much more.
- Adobe Creative Cloud for photographers
- Beauty lighting comparison
- How to build an infinity cove for photographers
- Full frame vs crop sensor
- Hasselblad H5 official instruction video
- Hasselblad H6 launch shoot
- LEE filters tour part 1
- LEE filters tour part 2
- Lens quality
- Macro test part 1
- Macro test part 2
- Pro Lab printing
- Using Softboxes with speedlites flash guns
- Squarespace overview page
- Squarespace websites
- Squarespace cover pages
- Understanding medium format
- Specialist studio photography lighting equipment
- Top 10 Photography Questions Answered!
- What camera lens should you buy? Camera Lens Buying Guide
- What To Consider When Buying a Camera: DSLR, Mirrorless, Medium Format, Full Frame, Crop Sensor?
- Understanding image quality: megapixels, image size, resolution & image sites
How our classes work
Once you’ve watched our ‘Lighting Theory’ course, you’ll have an understanding of the lighting fundamentals applied throughout all of our classes. We’ve specifically designed our videos to act as stand-alone step-by-step classes so that you can dive right in to what most appeals to you.
“It’s inspired me to go out and shoot in manual mode and be more creative. You show something, demonstrate it, let us imitate it and then we’ll go and practice it. ”
“I am confident that what I have learned has valuable and repeatable real world applications that will benefit my business and expand my client-base. This is definitely a fun and valuable way to fast-track your vocational goals and aspirations.”
"You can’t imagine how the last 365 days has changed my photography in a positive way! I tried several other online programmes but yours is the best in explanation and techniques!"
Karl Taylor has been a professional photographer for more than 25 years. Commissioned by leading global brands for his precise attention to detail and exquisite control of light, Karl is also known as an instructor who explains complex subjects clearly and effectively. Karl’s unique expertise and commitment to education has led him to work for Hasselblad Camera Company, Broncolor Lighting and Adobe, as well as to appearances on the BBC and elsewhere.
To help you make the most of our courses, we’ve made it easier to get in touch. Whether you have general photography questions or queries relating to specific classes, our knowledgeable team is here to help. In addition to our online support, we also offer personalised learning plans to help you achieve your photography aspirations.