This class is part of a series of fashion photography classes where Karl teamed up with Next Model Management’s Kariss Craig, professional fashion stylist Bianca Swan and makeup artist and hairstylist Shanine Levrier for an intensive week of filming high-end fashion photography. The results form part of our newest fashion course, a new series, that details each and every step of fashion photography.
You can follow this shoot from set building and test shots through to the final finishing touches. Watch as Karl uses careful control of light to create an impression of moonlight through a doorway and adds a fantasy-like, dappled light effect to really enhance the mood of the image.
A strong idea is central to a good image but sometimes the final picture doesn’t quite match what we set out to achieve. But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In this class, Karl clearly shows the importance of thinking on your feet when he takes his idea of creating a mysterious, ethereal scene and turns it into something far more sinister. Together with a team of stylists, assistants and model Kariss Craig, he uses careful control of light to create an image filled with drama and emotion.
In this fashion photography class we cover the following:
- Set creation from start to finish
- How to make efficient use of time
- The development and evolution of an idea
- The importance of creative direction
- Creative lighting effects
- How to work with and balance multiple lights
- How to use subtle lighting to best effect
- How to achieve feathered lighting
- The emotion of light
- Using simple props to enhance your shot