Umbrellas are one of the most prolific lighting modifiers, with many photographers owning, or using, them at least once in their career. However, many photographers often quickly upgrade to other modifiers such as softboxes, beauty dishes or even parabolic reflectors without fully realising exactly what they could achieve with umbrellas.
In this show, Karl addresses common questions such as:
- What are umbrella lights used for in photography?
- What are the different types of photography umbrellas?
- How to use a photography umbrella
Taking a closer look at umbrella lighting, Karl explores how these affordable modifiers work, what makes each of them different and how you can use them. This show provides comparisons between the different types of umbrellas as well as with other modifiers such as softboxes, beauty dishes and paras.
You’ll clearly see how effective these affordable modifiers can be as well as how they compare to other, more high-end, modifiers and Karl also shares his opinion on which modifier from the show offers the best value for money.
In this photography workshop we cover the following:
- Umbrella lighting
- How umbrellas work
- Different types of photography umbrellas
- The advantages of umbrella lighting
- Lighting modifier comparisons:
- Shoot through umbrella vs reflective umbrella
- Reflective umbrella vs deep umbrella
- Umbrellas vs softboxes
- Umbrella vs beauty dish
- Umbrellas vs parabolic reflectors
To learn more about umbrella lighting for photography, take a look at our in-depth article on umbrella lighting modifiers.
If you have any questions about this live show, please post in the comment section below.